Why does Dantz Retrospect display Error 102, Error 203, or Error 36?
Dantz Retrospect Express displays Error 102 Trouble Communicating, Error 203 Hardware Failure or Error?36 (MAC) (I/O errors)?
These are always generated by the destination device (e.g., Personal Storage 5000) and reported by Retrospect. General Device Troubleshooting steps for the errors above:
- Mac – Does the device show up in Apple System Profiler? Windows – Does the device show up in Device Manger, does it have a drive letter?
The OS needs to see the drive, or Retrospect won’t be able to see it either.
- Check to see if there is a more recent driver for the USB or IEEE 1394 device.
- Make sure the device is plugged directly into the computer (no Hubs).
- Make sure the device is using it’s own power supply (no bus power).
- Isolate the device.
- Change USB or IEEE 1394 cables.
- Try another port on the computer.
- Try another computer.